Re: [NTLK] NCU Port?

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 15:20:33 EST

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 01:07 PM, David Abramowitz wrote:

> Good suggestion. I thought of that, except that the 3Com 3C589D has an
> "all-in-one" Ethernet cable that connects it directly to the hub. It
> doesn't
> have an Xjack or other such connector which would allow me to use a
> crossover cable.
>
> - Dave

I use that same card... there is a fairly easy way to use crossover.
What you need is a little device, I am unsure of what it is called. It
came with my card, but I am sure one could be found separately very
cheap. It is a tiny little beige box with two ethernet ports. You plug
the "all-in-one" cable from the card into one side, and the crossover
cable into the other side. Then connect the other end of the crossover
cable to the Mac. I have seen these little boxes at local used computer
stores in Indy for a couple of bucks, and I am sure they could be had
elsewhere. Hope this helps...

sj