[NTLK] FAQ-ish

From: Jesse Garnier (lists_at_stonehopper.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 23:27:03 EST

First, I'm sure Victor works harder managing this list then we all
appreciate most of the time, so let's first 1) thank him profusely and 2)
forgive him when he suffers some of the same stresses and life pressures we
all do occasionally.

Second, amid all the talk of the wording of the "check the FAQ" message,
let's not forget that the fast pace of Newton development these days is hard
for the FAQ to keep up with. Particularly in areas like wireless networking,
the FAQ simply isn't as thorough a source of info as the collective
experiences of each of us on the front lines. (I'm thinking in particular of
questions like those regarding "A" versus "B" versus "C" WaveLan cards and
their compatibility with the driver right now.)

Third, answering the "newbie" questions to the list *in itself* helps to
reduce the simple inquiries because it places good answers to them in the
list archives which I'm sure are used at least by some well-intentioned
souls seeking information before posting to the list. It also keeps the
latest information "floating to the top," so to speak, and thusly makes it
easier for FAQ maintainers to search for info to update the FAQ with. :)

Lastly, at the risk of sounding corny, now is the time more than ever before
to welcome new users to the Newton community. With prices at approachable
and stable levels, and the sheer functionality of the device increasing
seemingly by the day, let's add to the family and spread the good word of
Newton however we can.

Ugh, that did sound corny... Sorry.

--Jesse