Re: [NTLK] The "Right" Newton/Newbies

From: Jeff Abbott (jabbott_at_ninewire.net)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 09:48:59 EST

Folks:

Thank you all for your many responses re the pros and cons of an MP 130
vs an MP 2x00 for a writer (me). I appreciated your insights. Given my
needs, I bought an 2100 on eBay a few days ago and am looking forward
to its arrival.

Since I must be one of the newbiest of the newbies (in that my Newton
isn't even in my sweaty palm yet), I'd like to say that I've been on the
list for a couple of weeks while pondering my Newton purchase and not
once have I felt, while watching the discussions, that newbies were
being shunted off to the FAQ in an inappropriate way. Thank God for the
FAQ, this list, for the Newton ring, for the amazing amount of work and
support that people around the world have done to provide information.
There is no way I or any one else new to the Newton platform could even
consider its use without these resources. Thank you!

That said, I do think the earlier suggestion of a brief section on
"Getting Started" or "New to the Newton?" on the FAQ is an excellent
one and it would be an area that newbies would no doubt find
invaluable. As I will no doubt be the village idiot of newtontalk, I'm
going to keep a list of the issues I encounter in getting the Newton up
and going in my life and perhaps others can jot down their issues as
well. Then maybe that information can be collated and written up as a
brief intro to the platform--even something that could be of use to
those considering a purchase, now that Newton prices are so low. (I
would have loved to have seen a "Why Buy a Newton" section somewhere in
the info when I was trying to convince my wife buying a Newton wasn't
nutty.) Also, a vocabulary list of Newton lingo would also be helpful
to have in this section. I think this is an area where people run into
trouble in formulating questions--what are the terms they need to use
to asking for help? Sometimes a more solid grip on the lingua franca can
simplify asking for help.

This is already a very generous, big-hearted list, so these kinds of
suggestions are only tweaks to what is already a remarkable, much
appreciated resource.

Now back to waiting for my Newton...
Jeff