Re: [NTLK] GPS

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 08:16:26 EST

Am 31.3.2002 14:24 Uhr schrieb "Kent Jonsson" unter <kent_at_sm4tfe.com>:
> That tip was good, I do have Route66...
I got an elder version of R66 w/o GPS support only. :-(

> Yes, I did choose the Serial port, and the LEDs on my tester lighted up.
The serport tester might consume to much current and you'll have to remove
it in order to work properly with the GPS. Another question is what LEDs
lit. There'll always some light and some not, also if the cable is crossed
when it shouldn't be. The wiring scheme give by Gerd Staudenmaier worked for
me and you should check it with your cable. Normally the GPS is a data end
terminal and has Tx and Rx swapped in order to use a straight cable to
connect to a computer like the Newton is. You can verify this by adding a
Null Modem adaptor (crossing of Rx w/ Tx as well as all handshake lines).
Unfortunately the Null Modems are usually DB25 and you'll need several other
adapters to convert somehow from Mini8 to whatever your GPS has and having
DB25 somewhere too. And finally you'll have to figure out what each adapter
does. There are DB9 to DB25 adaptors which to crossing... It's a nightmare.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG