Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 10:23:14 EDT

>On 5/2/02 @ 9:44 PM, John Goggan wrote:
>
>Just wanted to make sure we were seeing both sides of
>the issue there... :-)

Fair enough.

BTW, the last one this happened to was about a 2 weeks ago.

This individual has a CS major, is very knowledgable in computers, and a
close friend. He just had a brain fart. So I enjoyed busting his chops
a bit -- especially since we have the usual banter on which is better a
PC or a Mac.

Then again, I have to be careful since he is six four and a ranger.

...It's a good thing I outrank him! :-)

Anyhow, one technique that works well in both camps when you can't open a
file by double clicking, is to launch the appropriate application and
then try to open the file from within.

This works many times when the extension is missing (PC) or the File
Type/Creator is missing (Mac). Of course, you have to select ALL FILES
when the open dialog gives you a file type selection.

It seems like X uses and likes extensions, which I find interesting.

Although, compared to extensions, File Types and Creators are really cool.

As I said in my earlier post, both platforms have their strengths and
weaknesses. But until you use both, you just won't know what your
missing! :-o :-)

hmmm...maybe that is why i like the Newt so much. After using a Palm and
Pocket PC, there just is not comparison.

Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing how the handheld device
from OQO that runs XP will be. It should prove interesting.

Sushi