Re: [NTLK] Thinking of Switching

From: IMNewtMan_at_aol.com
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 08:27:40 EDT

PocketPC is MUCH more compatible with the PC than the Newton. Don't get me
wrong, the Newt is still my first choice due to screen size and general
usability, but I can move just about any file type from my PC to the PocketPC
without problem (jpg, .wav, .mp3, mpg, etc. etc.). Try that with a Newt and
everyone will let you know that you have to know something about programming
so you can create a pkg file that the Newt can understand or you have to buy
additional software.
The huge advantage that the Newt has over all other handheld platforms, IMO,
is its pen centric OS and the way the OS works like a normal human would
work. The PocketPC has HWR but its implementation stinks when compared to a
Newton not to mention that the screen size makes it nuts to attempt long
notes on the PocketPC. It's a shame that so many dismiss the PocketPC just
because it is Microsoft. MS is not my favorite either, but as far as a
supported handheld, PocketPC is much more capable than a Palm device and
PocketPC has supported expansion card standards since day-1. It was pointed
out that you could buy a few Newts for the cost of a PocketPC. That is true
now but back when I bought my MP2000 new at the tune of $900+, I could buy
two PocketPC at todays prices.
I'm sure that someone will chime in with some interesting facts here but I
think that there is a lot of Microsoft bashing and to dismiss anything
because it is made/stolen/taken-over by Microsoft is as bad as my PC using
friends laughing at anything made by Apple Computer.