[NTLK] Programming: tracking pen input

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy42_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 03:06:54 EDT

Wow an on topic subject for the programmers out there!

Is there a way to just read the position of the pen without going through the ViewClickScript? In my program I need to track the position of the pen without the pen being picked off the screen. I need to do this without blocking other messages like idle scripts so using buttons will not work either. I think I just need a command to poll the pen instead of getting a message, which may or may not exist.

On a seperate note (but hopefully still on topic), one place I see that may have led to the popularity of the Palm is the ease of programming. For many people being able to program in plain old C is a large advantage. NewtonScript is nice, but it does take time to learn and makes it harder to port applications from other platforms. Some of the good programmers out there might think about writing a web site about learning NewtonScript for people that don't know anything about object oriented programming.

Brian Parker