Re: [NTLK] [OT] Please Help...My G3 just died

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 11:32:09 EDT

>Good information there...We at least know that the
>machine is actually seeing the hardware...It's just
>not seeing the OS. Now, I haven't messed with a Mac in
>ages, so I may be off base here...but I seem to
>remember that the system folder on Macs needing to be
>"blessed". Does this still need to be on newer Mac
>OS's? If so, you may have found that your drive no
>longer is showing your system folder as THE system
>folder. I believe that if you boot with the CDROM, you
>may be able to fix that...(I don't rightly know how,
>but you may be able to figure it out)
>And! If you are replacing your existing HD with a new
>one, you will have to boot with the CD anyway to
>install the OS on it as well!
>Ed
>web/gadget guru

You are essentially correct, Ed. However, he already stated that he
lacks a Mac OS startup disk. This will be essential to get things
working. Beg, borrow or steal one. Startup from the CD ROM by holding
the 'C' key down during startup and see if the OS then boots up. If so,
you can try to look at the system folder and check for the "blessed" icon
on the folder face. You can set the Drive Setup utility to bless the
internal drive and restart. If this doesn't work, you may have software
corruption in the system folder. A Norton Utilities or Tech Tool Pro can
diagnose this. Otherwise, a clean reinstall of the system should patch
things back up. You will then need to drag your extensions and control
panels from installed software over to the system folder to get back
their functionality.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net