Re: [NTLK] Newbie with a 2100 questions

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 07:36:16 EST

on 11/1/02 8:40 PM, Brian Braunschweiger at brianbraun_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Does the word practice train the Newton or just me?

Both!

> (2) APPLICATIONS
> I can't yet install any packages due to the not having a dongle. (See
> my other post). Again, having used a Palm that synchs with Now
> contact and Up to Date and has some other apps on it, I am not very
> impressed with the default apps on the Newton. Again, I realize I may
> need to install stuff. In the mean time, what can I actually do with
> my Newton. Note taking is the only thing I can think of and I am not
> sure how much I have a need for that.

I have looked at stock Palms, and their default apps seem like paperweights
compared to the Newton, and the interoperability is nil in comparison. Do
this, write in the Notepad, "eat lunch with (somebody in your address book)
Tuesday at (restaurant in your address book)" and tap the "Asist" button.
You will see a meeting slip pop up, with all the data filled out. In the
Address book, for instance, you can have basically unlimited addresses and
phone numbers, email addresses, and such. You can add affiliates. There are
several custom fields, and more overall on the Newton than can fit in Now
Contact. The Datebook is also better, in some ways, than Now Up to Date.
It's repeat options are much better, and they do work.

The Phone Calls app may seem weak, but it works fine, if you need that sort
of thing.

You really need to take some time with it and learn it. The power is
definitely there. For instance, if you want to link notes, names and dates,
the simplest way to do it is to always use the full name of a person (In
notes, put their name in the title). Then, tap "Find" and do a global search
for that person's name. It will create an instant "history" which you can
tap through, and get all the details, should you wish.

> (3) CHANGING BATTERY CAGES
> Will I lose everything not in ROM if I swap out battery cages? If
> not, is there a time limit like the Palm?

This is _not_ the Palm. No data lost!

> (4) SCREEN CONDITION
> The screen seems to be good quality and the backlight works fine. The
> only downside is that there seems to be some slight "etching" on the
> screen where it was wrote on often. If oriented vertically, it is
> about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Any idea why that area would
> have been written on more often?

I guess somebody played SoloDX a _lot_! ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland