Re: [NTLK] WALT auction is over.

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 02:02:56 EST

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Sunder wrote:

> I'd imagine that it would be worth the seller's time to take the disk
> out of the Walt, try and mount it on a Mac to see if there are any files
> to get off

Er...while I like the idea, I suspect the seller in question is probably
the last person you want attempting this. I couldn't help but cringe when
I saw that he opened it up for photos. :)

If I bought the WALT, things I would do:

- try to mount the drive from a booting mac.
- run Norton Utilities, MacTools, Public Utils, and/or other drive
        recovery software dating back to the device's age to see if
        anything can be corrupted or salvaged (MacTools used to really be
        a lifesaver when newer programs didn't work)
- if the disk isn't spinning or being recognized, one of the following
        (all as last resorts):
        - open-heart surgery to rotate platter or remove crashed
          head from platter
        - transplant the medium or board with one of the manifold drive
          models I have just like this in my attic
        - drop drive from 1' off the ground barring opening it

Even if all this looks like butchery, I had a high success rate of data
recovery between 1993-1997 at LSU while supporting most of the campus.
It would be IMPERATIVE that anyone who gets this devie goes to great
lengths to recover what's on that drive. Of course watch it turn out to
have been formatted or beaten around before its recent discovery.

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html