Re: [NTLK] Forget Quake - how about Doom!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 14:06:50 EST

On 06/11/02 13:57, "Alexander Marianski" <am465_at_cam.ac.uk> wrote:
[snip!]
> It looks to me as if Doom runs on Acorn hardware in fullscreen mode.
> Therefore there will be no OS-calls (SWIs in ARMland). The only problem is
> that the assembler will be full of loads of hardware-specific
> memory-mapped IO and similar platform-dependent code - particularly with
> respect to drawing to the screen and IRQ/FIQ handlers. I suppose it is
> theoretically possible to run the whole thing inside a window on the
> Newton, but it would be nigh-on impossible without the annotated assembler
> files!
> I have to confess that despite ARM-familiarity, I know nothing about
> programming the Newton, but I am thinking quite seriously about learning.
> On the plus side, it should run at quite a decent speed on a 2x00!

I thought that I read on their web page that the code was made to be easily
compiled on any platform. Did I miss something? From what you're describing,
it looks like the code would make a lot of calls to specific hardware.
Hardly easily ported...

-Laurent.

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature
to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and
pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most
operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads
to software bloat.