Re: [NTLK] Forget Quake - how about Doom!

From: Charles Isaac (newton_at_aslannet.org)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:34:52 EST

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 12:57 PM, Alexander Marianski wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 06:11 pm, Charles Isaac wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 07:57 AM, Alexander Marianski
>> wrote:
>>> <http://www.forwiss.tu-muenchen.de/~dehmel/DIY.html> would probably
>>> be
>>> the place to start, for people with too much time on their hands...
>> You know that looks really like you could do it.
>> Of course I have no time on my hands.
>> No programming skills.
>> I would like to see someone do this.
>
> It looks to me as if Doom runs on Acorn hardware in fullscreen mode.
> Therefore there will be no OS-calls (SWIs in ARMland). The only
> problem is
> that the assembler will be full of loads of hardware-specific
> memory-mapped IO and similar platform-dependent code - particularly
> with
> respect to drawing to the screen and IRQ/FIQ handlers. I suppose it is
> theoretically possible to run the whole thing inside a window on the
> Newton, but it would be nigh-on impossible without the annotated
> assembler
> files!
> I have to confess that despite ARM-familiarity, I know nothing about
> programming the Newton, but I am thinking quite seriously about
> learning.
> On the plus side, it should run at quite a decent speed on a 2x00!

Ouch! there is that headache again.

Considering I have almost no clue what you just said.

I am just sittting here nodding my head saying, "ok" with that really,
really stupid expression on my face.

SO if i take the MP, PDQ, and ask for an IRQ, so that the IO is FAST,
then I can put the TABS in the H20 and get a PLOP and PLOP and FIZZ
FIZZ from the ASZ.

Do I have that right.
Maybe someday this headache will go away.

:)

Charles <----- not a programmer (or did you notice)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html