Re: [NTLK] A heaping of heap questions

From: Jon Kinney (madsk8er_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 22:48:48 EST

I think this is the same for the 120 but for the 2100 when you start up the
Newton or reset it you can watch a slip appear that says activating packages
on the store "internal" and then later if you have a PCMCIA linear flash
card it will say the same but for the Store "name of card". Depending on
what you have installed the package names will be different for everyone.

When you freeze an app it prevents it from being activated. Thus you have
more heap memory available. Heap on a Newton from what I understand is kind
of like RAM on a desktop computer. The RAM on our newtons is like a HD on a
PC. On a desktop computer when an application is running from a HD it takes
a certain amount of RAM, the bigger the program the more ram it needs...
Photoshop for example. The same is true for the Newton. No matter if you are
using any apps of just letting your newt sit, heap is being wasted (if the
package is not frozen). I usually freeze all the apps that I'm not currently
using. I keep notepad, names, dates, and a few others "thawed" as it is
referred to by my program (extra extras, available on unna for free)

You can also use heap saver which does something with the soups of
something...I vaguely remember reading about it in the readme.txt, but
basically it gives you more heap by moving something out of heap for you.

The more heap you have available the faster things will run. For the 2100
you can use dashboard 1.5x to view the current available heap amongst many
other cool things. I don't know if it's available for the 120. Older version
maybe?

Oh and about your RAM being more after freezing a package...that won't
happen, all freezing does is keep the package from being activated it still
takes up the same amount of RAM. Remember Heap and RAM are 2 separate
things, you do get considerably more heap when a package is frozen!

Hope this helps!

Jon Kinney

_

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html