[NTLK] A heaping of heap questions

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 22:11:49 EST

Hi,

I'm into the second week of using my Newton 120, and still loving it. The Palm is begining to gather dust :) Anyways, I was curious about heap usage, as I understand it can be an issue on Newtons. I've learned that applications can be "frozen" to minimize or remove their heap allocations, and that leads me to a few questions:

- what actually (technically) happens when you freeze an app?
- I installed an app called BatterBuddy, from Tactile systems, which allows me to freeze apps. Do all app freezers work the same? Is one better than another, in terms of stability, features, whatever?
- I check my free RAM before and after freezing a few small apps, and saw no difference. Are heap allocations counted against available RAM? If not, are there third party apps that can tell me how much heap is used/available?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this heap of questions!

-Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html