Re: [NTLK] How to Make a Newton Package

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 00:50:47 EST

Samuel Jacobson wrote:

> Hello All, I would like to put a book of mine onto my Newton (for my own
> personal use) and, accordingly, I have a scanner and OCR software to scan
> thetext and graphics into my computer. However I am not sure how to then
> takethe several hundred pages of text and make then into one coherent Newton
> package that can then be downloaded onto my uMP 2000. As such any help
> that could be offered would be most appreciated. Also, if this topic has
> beencovered before please forgive me (and I would greatly appreciate a link
> to the FAQ or information).

The FAQ is at:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

and it does have an entire section on Books, although it is very short.

You have basicially three options for making books:

-Newton Press
-BookMaker
-Paperback

Newton Press and BookMaker both create Newton books that are viewed by the
Newton's internal viewer software. Newton Press is fairly easy to use, but
may be unstable depending on your computer's configuration. (I've heard that
MacOS version greater than 8.6 really don't like NewtonPress). Press runs
pretty stable on my WinXP machine now, although it used to love to crash when
I had Win2k. YMMV. Get Newton Press:

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/NewtonPress/

BookMaker is for advanced book development. You create an RTF file, embed
special text within it to do anything from change the font to embed
NewtonScript code, run it through BookMaker which compiles a Book part, then
create a package from the book part with the Newton Toolkit. You probably
don't need this kind of complexity.

Paperback doesn't use the Newton's internal viewer, but has its own. It's
nice to create books from simple text files, and the advantage is that the
user can change the font size on the Newton.

http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/Paperback/