Re: [NTLK] OT(ish): Nifty iBook Mod

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 17:34:08 EST

>From: rpatel_at_accelrys.com
>Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:53:54 +0000

>Thought this was an inspired iBook hack.

>http://www.wired.com/news/images/0,2334,56086-5302,00.html

I like the expression on his face, very secret-agentesque. *g*

>What with OS X "ink" and XP's tablet notebooks with reversible
>screens I wonder if somethink like this isn't in the cards...

I just read David Pogue's articel on XP Tablet ed., not *so* very promising.
The idea of being able to run all the XP software natively is nice,
but what's the use if 98% of that software was not designed to be
used in a pen-based interface?
I think this is even worse than the WinCE approach, but I have yet to
get my hands on one of those tablets.
At least they got the size right, sort of.
Those models with permanent keyboard & twisting display appear to be
very cool at first sight, but OTOH this means more weight you cannot
get rid of -> lower portabilty.
A lot of this seems unfit for the purpose.

>Something as slim as a TiBook but maybe half the size would be
>sort of eMate / Newt esque. Probably too big to compete with a Palm
>sized PDA but certainly a good form factor for a Tablet.

IMHO the key is not wanting to compete with Palm or any PDA in the
first place. A tablet is a tablet, not a PDA in the Palm sense of the
word.
I have not much of an idea about the operating system, apart from the
fact that it has to be made for the purpose, but a device with a 10"
display would be perfect for many many tasks.
OSX features a lot we know from the Newton, I guess that with some
tweaks a slimmed-down version of it could be reshaped for
pen-operation. One would have to rethink a lot of the data-storage
representation of course.

More key-factors:
- No internal Harddrive, but *a lot* of FLASH Memory, saves weight,
cost and energy
- FireWire for external HD
- USB
- foldable USB keyboard
- both integrated WiFi and BlueTooth
- a beast of a LiPoly-battery

Oliver :)

--
I refuse to modify my behaviour just so some mechanical device can
function properly. That really doesn't make sense.