Re: [NTLK] [OT] Proof Jobs is an idiot

From: Jim Johnston (jimthej_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 03:40:10 EST

OK, children, time to put this to bed. I'm one of the folks that get to
switch daily. At home I run Macs because I like them. For me they are
easier to use and set up. However, at school I have a big Dell box
running XP on a network. Since I bribed the tech into letting me be
administrator on the machine, it works well. It seems to be about as
easy to use as my Mac. I often throw strange hardware at it and it
just seems to work. The only things I haven't been able to use are
Outlook to Newton syncing and MacOpener to use Mac disks on it. Since
my Macs handle FAT 32 formatted media flawlessly, it's not a problem.
Haven't tried the Newton on OS X because I hate the switch to Classic.
Once I'm there, it's OK. The Mac seems to handle strange hardware
pretty well, just no TWAIN drivers for my scanners, yet. Both are very
stable. I have crashed both, rarely.
BTW, found the perfect substitute for Slowdown, I use Windows Media
Player and a news stream. Eats so many processor cycles it brings the
machine to a grind.
Anyway, I truthfully can't see much difference in user friendliness.
This is not true of any of the predecessor versions of Windows. Having
used most versions since Win95, I can vouch that they are not as easy
to live with. About as easy as System 7.5.1-.3, which had a great
interface but barfed at every 4th keystroke or mouseclick.

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 12:04 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> No Windows user so far (well, I might have missed it, these threads
> aren't that interesting) said that MacOS X sucks. Why? Because it's
> untrue? No, it's as true as Windows XP sucks. It's because they don't
> need to justify themselves as Windows users by saying that MacOS > sucks.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Newton User

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html