Re: [NTLK] Some Observations

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:09:31 EST

At 03:10 PM 11/11/2002 -0500, Stephanie Maks <newton_at_maksystems.com> wrote:

>Before getting shattered, the old screen had been showing what I think
>were the begginings of jaggies. Now and then I'd write something on the
>screen and the 'ink' on the screen wouldn't be anywhere near the stylus,
>and would spaz out and end up looking like a drunken spider's footprints
>instead of what I was trying to write.

Yup, that's jaggies!

[snip]

>Now that I've replaced the screen & touch screen, all those problems are
>gone. Alignment works fine, my writing works fine, I haven't had any
>'Jaggie'-like troubles.
>
>This leads me to the conclusion that all the various alignment problems
>were definately in the screen assembly, and didn't have anything to do
>with the motherboard.

Very interesting! When you say "screen assembly", are you referring to the
item depicted on http://members.tripod.com/mrpcbman/Backlight.htm in the
row next to the phrase "The LCD assembly is held by a clip and a tiny gold
screw. Remove the screw and turn over"?

I have 3 Newties -- a worn one with no jaggies and two pristine ones with
jaggies. Your post may inspire me to try to do a screen transplant, but I
want to make sure I swap the right component.

Jaggies are the scourge of Newtondom IMO! If someone could find a
permanent, surefire, and repeatable cure that person would be Newtie of the
Year in my book.

Thanks,

-Jeremy

>--

Jeremy Bond Shepherd
jbond_at_jameswhale.com

Americans practice different faiths in churches, synagogues, mosques and
temples. And many good people practice no faith at all.
  - George W. Bush, finally gets it right in his Easter Address of 2002
My PGP key is available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html