[NTLK] Some Observations

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 11:11:39 EST

I don't know how much of this has already been discovered or pointed out
by others, but since swapping the screen on my Newton, I've noticed a
few differences.

Before getting shattered, the old screen had been showing what I think
were the begginings of jaggies. Now and then I'd write something on the
screen and the 'ink' on the screen wouldn't be anywhere near the stylus,
and would spaz out and end up looking like a drunken spider's footprints
instead of what I was trying to write. This happened occasionally,
about once a day. Also, even when it worked well, the letters seemed a
little rough so to speak, like I was a bit 'shaky' trying to write. And
finally, the touch-screen seemed 'off' at the bottom half of the screen,
so whenever I did an 'Align Pen' I had to aim a little off the target,
by a certain distance, so that it would work Ok in normal use.

Now that I've replaced the screen & touch screen, all those problems are
gone. Alignment works fine, my writing works fine, I haven't had any
'Jaggie'-like troubles.

This leads me to the conclusion that all the various alignment problems
were definately in the screen assembly, and didn't have anything to do
with the motherboard. I'm sure others who've replaced the screens have
noticed the same thing?

One other thing, was I used to have the problem that the MP2100 would
occasionaly turn off as soon as I turned it on. This was especialy
prevelant at night, when I turned it on then held the slide switch to
activate the backlight. Then as soon as I let go of the slide switch,
the newton would switch off. Also, if it was already on and I tried to
turn on the backlight with the slide switch, it would take a few tries
before I'd get the backlight and the newton to stay on.

While swapping the screens, I inadvertantly swapped the power switch too
(with a big pile of Newton parts on the desk, I'm not sure if anything
else got swapped), and the 'new' one has a nice stiff crisp feel to it,
not loose and weak-springed like the old one. Also, that problem of
turning off right-away has vanished. So the instantly turning off
problem, is likely due to mechanical wear and tear on the switch.
Again, probably old news to most folks.

So, just a couple things I've noticed since doing some work on my Newton.

Now the next step is to save some $ and get my hands on one of these new
backlight kits.

-Stephanie

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html