Re: [NTLK] What do I do now?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 00:57:29 EST

This too is mentioned inthe FAQ. As a matter of fact,
it is number 1 in the top 5 questions!:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
The number one solution is to remove all cards and
power from the Newt and let it sit over night. Then in
the morning, make sure there are fresh batteries or
you have a wall plug-in and power the Newt back on.
Don't put the cards back in in case there's a PKG on
the card causing a problem.
This usually solves the problem.
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Dave Bonhoff <GTIDave_at_newted.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I think I'm sunk...
>
> MP2000U, 4 MB flash card, lots of packages installed
> (~300K free
> internally and 10K free on card)
>
> I set my Newt to receive Simple Mail and go to make
> a coffee. I come
> back to find that Newt has stopped downloading email
> with an out of
> memory error. I start checking email and deleting
> unwanted MSG's (most
> of them). After deleting each msg, I get an error
> message regarding
> storage, 10606 or 10600, I don't remember. I decide
> that a reset may
> help, so I close all open apps and eject my wifi
> card, then press reset
> button. The screen goes blank... And that is it,
> nothing since that
> moment. I've ejected my flash card, tried every
> form of reset listed in
> the FAQ, opened and checked the ROM board... And
> the best I get is a
> flicker of the screen unless I go for a hard reset,
> then I'm given the
> choice of erasing all data. I haven't tried yes,
> since my last back-up
> was Friday at noon. If I press no, the screen
> instantly blanks and I
> get no further response.
>
> I think I'm stuck, but I'll wait on the greater
> knowledge of this list
> to see if there are any options left.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous