Re: [NTLK] Generic AC adapter

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:05:06 EST

"Johannes Wolf" <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl> wrote:

> I did not mean ac, because I considered using it with wallplug dc
adaptors
> as well as cigarrette lighters in a car, but to make it working with
dc as
> well there is simply a rectifier bridge needed in front of the
adapter, that
> would even protect it against wrong dc polarity at the input...

Ah, you engineers DO Think Different ...!

But that does sound like a good idea.

> For MP120 the design can simply be modified according to the correct
> settings for output voltage and current limitation. This is done by
changing
> the value of two resistors. Piece of cake.

Sort of a sliding switch, right? Preferably with some sort of
indicator when the proper setting is reached, so the novice user won't
have it on the wrong setting.

A more complex (and of course, costly) version would be able to tell
which Newton device was connected, and self-adjust.

So perhaps in this instance, cheaper is better!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html