Re: [NTLK] NewtsCape Was: Web Broswers

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 12:10:06 EST

If you are approaching Web browsing with modern expectations, you may find
your experience browsing on the Newton a little underwhelming.

However, NewtsCape does a number of things that make it incredibly valuable
for me:

1. I have convenient access to it's cache of pages
2. It lets me schedule downloads and set the depth of links to follow
3. It can save pages to Notes and Newtworks.

Although I'll use NewtsCape for novelty browsing (e.g., a quick google
search while lieing in bed), I primarily use it for it's scheduled browsing,
for reading daily/weekly news, etc. This is an "Avant-go" like use, and
takes a bit more set up. What I did was create a start point with links to
news sites that pretty much support the text-only format (few links on the
page, mostly just the text). Then I schedule NewtsCape to crawl the sites,
thus loading the pages to the cache. For a number of sections from the
Gaurdian, Yahoo, and Wired, this takes about 20 - 30 minutes. After the
pages have downloaded into NewtsCape cache, I further process them into
NewtWorks (another 5-10 minutes wait), which I do to avoid the wait between
articles for HTML translation. At that point, I have about 50-70 pages
totalling ~300K (of mostly articles, but some table of contents, which I
just delete immediately). I can get through a substantial number of articles
this way, without a lot of time lost for loading in between. Just the
initial time to fetch the pages, and process them to Newtworks.

I wouldn't be able to tolerate browsing this amount of text in realtime (so
to speak). The waits pretty much force one into multitasking.

If you are able to divide your time and attention better than I, NewstsCape
has a default chime for when a document finishes loading.

hth,
blair

ps - The only thing that would make this experience ideal, would be if the
width of page that NewtsCape uses for creating new pages in Newtworks was
configurable so that text wouldn't scroll horizontally off-screen.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html