[NTLK] Re - eMate hinge pdf

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 19:50:00 EST

> I append a pdf showing how to strengthen the hinges so they won't do
> this nasty.

The list automatically strips attachments, is it available for download?

Joel M. Sciamma and me are currently working on detailed documentation
of this problem and its fixes. You might get in touch with Joel, he is currently
working on a new version of the pdf file he has made that covers the hinge
and display cable repair part.
The eMate disassembly instructions are pretty much finished, but not
published yet because I want to replace my low resolution images with
excellent ones Joel has sent me.

Stephanie said...

> There are little springs in the hinges which
> provide the tension to hold the lid up, but either the springs are the
> wrong size, or they are prone to breaking. The jury's still out on
> that, my theory is they break.

The jury has decided some time ago. That the springs were the wrong
size was Joel's and my theory until someone on this list came up with
an idea that exactly explained the state of the hinge springs in both Joel's
and my eMates.

The problem is that there is an axis that goes through the spring curls and
is supposed to move in them. Unfortunately over time the friction between
the axis and the spring curls around it becomes bigger and bigger, finally
it becomes so big that it is enough to wrap the straight spring legs
around the hinge axis. The straight part becomes shorter and shorter until
it is finally pulled out from under its securing screw. The next time you
open the eMate fully, it punctures the display ribbon cable.

A good idea to slow down this process if you are afraid to open the
eMate is opening it veeeery slowly henceforth, but closing it as fast as
possible. Opening tightens the spring and thus provides even more of
the unwanted friction, closing does the opposite.

> I *think*
> someone is looking into a way to make replacement ribbon cables, but
> they are a custom design.

That's David aka MrPCBMan.

> Also, I recall one or two reports of people
> fixing their cables, but it is a very delicate process, and does require
> technical knowledge.

Both Joel and me have done it. You shouldn't be afraid of soldering under
a microscope, and it is a very bad idea to do this after a party ;-)
If anyone out there doesn't want to wait until David is ready, you can send
me your cable and I can see what can be done.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html