Re: [NTLK] Fixing ribbon cables

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 20:00:19 EST

> In this case, you can cut the cable at both ends, leaving a
> couple of inches on each side

<snip...>

> You can then very carefully shave the plastic off the cut ends until you
> expose the conductor. I have to stress carefully, and "leave a couple of
> inches" again here. Once the conductor is exposed, you can solder it back
> to a thin wire

One thing I'd like to add is that it is safer not to cut the cable with a 90 degrees
cut, but with a 45 degrees or less cut. That way the different strands do not
end next to each other, but BEHIND each other. That way it is less likely that
you accidently create a short.

> because you can easily melt the plastic, and then it won't fit in the slot
> anymore...

It is a good idea to tape the ribbon cable to a thick flat metal part.
For one, this will stop the cable from moving (which is lethal when soldering under a microscope),
apart from that, it will get rid of excessive heat fast. That way I was able to
use a soldering tip (350 degrees celsius) for about 2-3 seconds on a single
strand which should be enough to tin it and solder a wire to it.
If you think you do not have such a large flat metal part: When was the
last time you were in your kitchen? Most pots and pans these days have these terrific
thick sandwich bottoms...

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html