Re: [NTLK] Mapping software for Newton - with Australian Maps?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 09:33:45 EST

Thats very easy:
you can connect nearly every kind of GPS-receiver equipped with a serial
interface and sending data in NMEA 183 format to your Newt and GPSMap.
(to give only one example: Garmin Etrex)
Regarding Map creation my experience is that it takes quiet a long time to
get used to the procedure, which is not easy. But after the first time it is
easy.

The main point is that you need a really good and accurate Map with LON/LAT
indication.
The next point is to find an opportunity to get it scanned (greyscale is
sufficient) with a scanning area as large as possible. To scan the whole map
in one go would be the ideal solution.
You can divide the map on your MAC/PC later on and create the map packages
for the Newt. GPSMap will switch automatically between the maps depending on
the actual position.
But you have to keep in mind: there are possibilities to zoom the map, but
GPSMap is based on a bitmap graphic and NOT on a vector-graphic.
So the zoom function cannot do much.
But you can achieve pretty nice results if you create different maps from
the same (scanned) resource with different resolutions in order to get an
overview map and a number of detailed maps.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html