Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 13:28:54 EST

> You know, it is very strange to me. There are so many people on this
> list and around the world that love Newtons. There are user groups
> all over the Internet and there are meetings everywhere, Germany,
> Canada, etc. What happened to the Newton? I have seen the new
> Newtonesque item MS is coming out with...do any of us think that this
> will last? I mean if it will run Windows~of course it will~imagine
> the bugs and the blue screens of death!!

You'll probably get as many answers to this question as there are
participants on this list. But my short answer is that the MessagePad
was an unfortunate combination of the right product at the wrong time;
the market just wasn't ready for a device like this.

It didn't help matters that the MessagePad was a product that was
brought to market before it was ready and promised too much; its'
failure to live up to the initial hype surrounding it made it much
harder to take the product seriously once it had become a truly useful
device.

As for Microsoft's "Tablet PCs" (if that's what you're referring to)
I'd be surprised if they catch on, outside of specialized markets. For
a tablet computer to be truly useful, I think the interface has to be
designed for the pen from the bottom up, not just slightly modified to
make it kinda work well.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html