Re: [NTLK] OT It's all good.... Not

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 15:37:03 EST

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 08:21 AM, Sunder wrote:

<snip>

> No, it's not any harder in Windows or in OS X. They're both operating
> systems, and if you dont' get it, you don't get it. There's nothing
> to be
> done about that. There are people who don't get MacOS either. It's
> the
> way it is.

Actually that isn't true. You presume that the OS exists in vacuum
which it does not. Many of Windows problems have manifest because of
the huge array of hardware vendors they need to support. (ie Compaq
want to use the cheapest possible video chip X, while sony wants DVD
playback from vendor Y).

Apple makes the whole widget which means from a software point of view
it is MUCH easier to quality control the OS and software, since it runs
on so many fewer hardware configurations.

Of course like most things in life this is both Apple's greatest
strength and there greatest weakness. It does allow for a higher
quality user experience, but the hardware has to have fruit on the
front.

<snip>

> And should by some stroke of luck Apple be in a position to grab 99% of
> the market, you'll find that peripherals on Macs will also have lame
> buggy
> drivers that cause crashes. Linux, Solaris, and *BSD have the same
> issues. Bugs in anything that lives in kernel mode will crash the
> machine, no way around that. Get over it.

This is also wrong, see the above.

I love Jon's comments regarding old sayings....

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html