Re: [NTLK] newt as phone?

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 00:50:17 EST

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, David Getzin wrote:

> is there an app or a hack/pref that could let me use this as a phone?

Not using a plane jane PCMCIA modem. You could hook a set of headphones
directly to a phone jack and pick up a dialtone, so all you're hearing is
the modem relaying what's coming through the line. Actually transmitting
your voice through the phone line would require something other than the
modem, which is only going to send data. I've been toying with this idea
in my head lately because:

1) the 2x00's mic & speaker are roughly phone handset distance apart.
2) I really like the idea of using voice notes to record incoming calls
        and playing a greeting.

Mostly I'd like to build an adapter for the expansion bay which can be
application controlled and use text-to-speech, smart assist, call features
(DTMF), and the addressbook. I was going to use a 6-pin RJ-12 plug so you
could:

- Plug in a direct line using the 2 middle wires
- Plug in a special adapter to use a hand or headset and direct line

Using a jabra headset or something would mean the phone applet could have
a toggle switch to send the audio and mic controls to the interconnect
port, which would be parasited off of internally.

The software would probably manifest itself as a floating dialpad with
common phone features (including speaker phone) and a few buttons to
present message handling. The hardware would have to have a wake-on-ring
option to begin messaging activity and leave a small floating bar saying
something like, "4 new messages" with a button for quick play or main
interface launch.

Not a weekend activity by any means.

And of course if this was ever realized, you wouldn't want to leave your
Newt plugged in during stormy weather.

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html