Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #780

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 00:59:58 EST

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 12:06 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:
> From: sc0tty techn0ir <tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com>
> Andrew Thiel is quoted as saying:
>>
>> Actually, a stripped-down version of Linux running in an optional
>> terminal widow (ala OSX) would be quite helpful for the following
>> activities:
>>
>> 1. Soup editing
>> 2. Porting a *real* web browser
> whoa! we already have an excellent and feature-rich browser. i think
> newt's cape is taking alot of flak on account of the poor performance of
> NiE2. newt's cape rocks, imho, and i challenge anyone to an unreal
> tournament deathmatch who begs to differ =]

Excellent and feature rich as long as you don't need... (copied from the
Newt's Cape site)

no support for Java, Javascript, SSL (secure socket layer), CSS
(cascading style sheets), vCard,iCalendar, XML, ...;

...and might I add mpeg movie support, flash, shockwave, and the fact
that we can't even hope that any of this will be added because we
haven't seen the likes of a new version since March 2001.

It doesn't matter how "feature-rich" or "excellent" it is if it doesn't
have the *needed* features, and is no longer being updated. I'm not
saying Newt's Cape is bad, I'm just saying that it is missing key
features. In two or three years the new and changed features of the
world wide web will be completely foreign to Newt's Cape's antiquated
conventions.

-Animal (AKA Robin Brown)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html