Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: Kenton A. Hoover (shibumi_at_marchordie.org)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 10:12:00 EST

Newton was killed by a combination of:

* poor expectations management of the initial product launch
        Until the second incremental improvement in HWR, much of the bad
        press it got was reasonable. "Grafitti" was a necessity, but once
        the HWR was improved, the Grafitti folk decided they could create
        their own platform. Which lead to the next issue.

        Had Apple chosen not to hype it so much and aim it at vertical
        markets before trying to make it a horizontal product, this might
        been managable. Apple is, however, a consumer product company and
        the CEO at the time (Scully) was a consumer product marketer
        (Frito-Lay). Insert the obvious line about hammers and nails here.

* bad price point
        The market would tolerate a $800-900 device if and only if it could
        demonstrate real gains over a $400 device. The MP was most notibly
        larger than the Palm and since it (for most people) didn't actually
        replace the "Day Timer" they were carrying around anyway, it didn't
        seem to have the gains needed to justify the price.

Microsoft might succeed because they have shown themselves willing to just keep
throwing money at a problem until they get the results they want. The Tablet PC
is the what, fifth incarnation of the Pocket PC? Yes, I know it's not the same
software, but it is the same approach and involves the same interface choices.
And this works well for Microsoft -- they only have to pay the software
development and some of the marketing costs. Who gets screwed on these deals
are the hardware manufacturers -- they have to run the production lines, the
distribution networks, etc. Philips (for example) got very badly burned on the
Nino, and it's problems were the problems of the Pocket PC environment, not the
particular manufacturing of the Nino.

That's my $0.02.

--On Thursday, November 14, 2002 7.44 -0800 Katarina Gubler

--
| Kenton A. Hoover                        |                        |
| Private Citizen                         |        +1.415.850.5924 |