Re: [NTLK] Holsters

From: Kenton A. Hoover (shibumi_at_marchordie.org)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 13:13:59 EST

Well one, you can carry it in back and closer to center. This will at least
pull your belt down evenly and where the belt has the most tension, rather than
on the sides where it just wants to pull the belt off your waistline.

Secondly, what sort of belt are you using? Look at a cop -- their Sam Browne
belts aren't thin leather things. And they aren't even the belts holding up
their trousers. A set of retaining straps (beltkeepers) keep the belt in place.

Being a big dork myself, I carry lots of stuff on my belts, and when I'm
working an event for SF OES, I usually have two big motorola radios on as well.
My belt of choice (right now) is made by SOE (http://www.soegear.com); it's
designed for use as a rappelling harness and it doesn't creep at all. Of
course, I have to admit that they creep less now that I've lost some weight.

On bigger belts beware some beltclips -- they often aren't long enough to get
over the belt to the other side. On my old uniform belt (Sam Browne style), I
usually had to do some fiddling to get the clip to barely lock over the belt.
Some clips just don't work at all.

Depending on how much of a dork you wish to be, you could look into using one
of the thigh pouches that Blackhawk makes for medical gear. One loop goes
around your leg and the other around the belt.

Oh, I don't carry my Newton on a belt. It just goes into my shoulder bag with
the rest of my research gear.

--
| Kenton A. Hoover                        |                        |
| Private Citizen                         |        +1.415.850.5924 |