Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: b e n w e l l s|headwerkx (headwerkx_at_iprimus.com.au)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 14:14:27 EST

> I can throw my $.02 in ONE Sentence:
>
> When everyone else in the PDA Market went smaller with WinDoze CE machines
> and (of course) the Palm, Apple increased the size of the Newton with the
> 2xxx and EMate...
>
> ...If only Apple could have made a SMALLER Newton - even one with only the
> functions of a MP100! - it might have been a different story...

I think the problem also was that Apple overdelivered (as they're prone to
do). The MP2K and 2100 are virtual laptop replacements, and were
appropriately priced, whereas the market obviously just wanted a pocket
sized digital notepad and address book - at a nice cheap price. Hence why
every tom dick and harry has a Palm M100.

Of course someone had to test the water, and as usual it was Apple. Very
easy to know where to walk when someone's already come along and set off all
the bear-traps!

The Newton was rushed to market, too. If the 2100MP had been the first
Newton to be available to the public I reckon things would have been quite
differnet.

Ben.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html