Re: [NTLK] Microsoft Tablet PC's designer

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 15:19:22 EST

On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 11:37 AM, Daedalus wrote:
<snip>

> I think Steve Jobs/Wozniak and Apple =
> have much more of a claim to that particular distinction, seeing as
> they =
> actually *marketed* the things to people. I think Xerox is highly
> overrated.

The Apple ][ you mean.... No mouse, no GUI, but the first real mass
market PC.

> So, I fail to see any reason to say Thacker or Xerox "invented" the
> personal computer.

Xerox get a lot of credit however, as they did incorporate all the
element together (ie mouse, windows, GUI), although the Alto was not a
PC. Xerox furthermore get credit because it was there Steve Jobs saw
the technology (at PARC) and from there he stole the concept and many
of the team members for the original LISA and eventually the Macintosh.

Oh yeah, kind of for the Newton too...
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html