Re: [NTLK] Corrupt Object (-48005 error) - how to fix?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 19:00:40 EST

on 2002/11/16 1:51 PM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> on 11/16/02 12:27 PM, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

>> On the PC, RTFs created by the built-in WordPad are much less complex than
>> those created by MS Word. They contain much less font table and character
>> set
>> information, which the Newton's filters might choke on.

> But Michael said the transfer went OK, it was when he tried to get an
> overview that the Newt tanked. I would have thought the filters would have
> complained during the translation process prior to the transfer.
> I found it took a while for the overview to come up, but there was no
> problem and the file opened fine.
> However, I didn't try a file containing embedded graphics or tables.
> That might cause problems, but I'd expect them to be caught before the
> transfer.
> He also mentioned a number of large RTF files. Is it possible there is a
> store limit he somehow exceeded (I'd thought the Newt store size was pretty
> much determined by available memory)?
>
> Peter

Re the file complexity hypothesis: these are starting life as pretty basic
word files - no graphics or tables, only one or two fonts, some bolding and
italics, and a few levels of indent, that sort of thing. The small file
that worked was no less complex than the larger ones.

The actual files I'm trying this with are Ontario statutes, downloaded from
<www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/tocStatutes_E.asp?lang=en>. Pick any statute, click
on "Download" and you get it as a Word file. For example, here's one that
my Newt choked on:
<http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/English/97t24_e.doc>, (the hilariously
named "Tenant Protection Act"). And here's the one that works every time:
<http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90j01_e.doc> (the boringly but
truthfully named "Judicial Review Procedure Act"). The main difference
seems to be size, unless I'm missing something.

Re possibly exceeding a store limit: I doubt it, since the error crops up
when I load the file onto an otherwise empty card (and we're talking about
files that are only ~200 - 600K on the Mac).

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html