[NTLK] NewtSync - Addresses just stops

From: Patrick Curtain (patrick_at_swdev.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 18:32:14 EST

Hello All!

(And John, though I don't want to single you out. :) )

I was really tickled to look back into the newton world and see an
effort like NewtSync / nSync underway. Though I dearly love the
capabilities my newton provides, it's always been pretty much an
island. This was never too huge a problem, though, since as a coder
I've always got a powerbook in my hands anyway. But when the
possibility arose that I could have a serious sync solution i was
pretty tickled.

Alas, it didn't work so simple. More than likely I'm a boundary case
and I'm hoping that posting here will help me figure out how to change
the condition that keeps it from working.

Symptoms:

I'm using tcp/ip over 802.11 as the transport.
The NewtSync server runs on my TiBook, all firewall interference turned
off.
The newton package starts up and, after i enter the tcp/ip choice and
the ip address, starts doing what it can.

Failure:

As soon as I set the preference on the server side to sync addresses,
and the date is (pre-now) both the server and the newton get to syncing
addresses and stay there.

Neither hangs, but neither do they synchronize anything.

Attempts:

I tried getting a smaller set of address book entries....
- I set the sync date to today, by having the server side sync only the
clock.
- I modified a newton address book card.
- I set the server preference to sync address book.
- It GOT the changed card!!

I repeated that test with four or five, and it worked fine.

I used the SoupLadle to retrieve the names soup and it worked great.
Retrieved ~735 records for 904k.

For what it's worth, I _do_ use MoreInfo. I still have the newton sdk
around somewhere, if I can help out somehow (not sure if have classic
on this powerbook anymore, though). :) But! Having this capability
would REALLY help me out.

Anyone have ideas to suggest? Are there numeric limits that start
bumping against heap limits?

Thanks for any help at all!
--p

Patrick Curtain, Husband & Father ( i also write software )
            Building the BEST software, the FASTest way.
http://www.swdev.com/ 360.521.9625

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html