Re: [NTLK] Microsoft Tablet PC's designer

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 02:29:56 EST

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 04:57 PM, Newtvana wrote:

>> --On Saturday, November 16, 2002 12.19 -0800 Martin Joseph wrote:
>>> Xerox get a lot of credit however, as they did incorporate all the
>>> element together (ie mouse, windows, GUI), although the Alto was not
>>> PC. Xerox furthermore get credit because it was there Steve Jobs saw
>>> the technology (at PARC) and from there he stole the concept and many
>>> of the team members for the original LISA and eventually the
>>> Macintosh.
>
> Careful with the term 'stole' here. Xerox received a hefty chunk of
> early Apple stock that made them a pretty penny.
>
> I'd say that SJ /bought/ the technology, supposed overlapping windows
> and all.

Yes, I have already been corrected on this point repeatedly.

Although somehow I think my point is still true. I consulted with my
attorney who tells me that clearly in this case Xerox was responsible
to use "due diligence" in accepting SJ's offer and in giving the tour
to Apple engineers.

So clearly from a legal perspective it is not "stealing", yet I think
it's funny that people get so up in arms about my suggesting that the
basic concept of the Mac (and lisa) are stolen.

They are derived from the work of other people (Englehart et al.),
which Steve Jobs recognized as the future of computing, and apparently
XRX did not.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html