Re: [NTLK] Microsoft Tablet PC's designer

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 16:18:10 EST

Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com) wrote:

> Although somehow I think my point is still true. I consulted with my
> attorney who tells me that clearly in this case Xerox was responsible
> to use "due diligence" in accepting SJ's offer and in giving the tour
> to Apple engineers.
>
> So clearly from a legal perspective it is not "stealing", yet I think
> it's funny that people get so up in arms about my suggesting that the
> basic concept of the Mac (and lisa) are stolen.

Suggesting that Apple (or anyone) had committed a crime shouldn't be
taken lightly. Nobody denies that the Macintosh interface incorporated
many ideas invented elsewhere, but that's how technological progress (or
science) works. You start with other people's ideas, build on that, and
then still others build on what you've achieved. Apart from the region
concept -- making it possible to write to windows partially hidden by
other windows --, Apple's main achievement was that they actually brought
all these ideas to market.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de