Re: [NTLK] NiMH discharge cycles

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 09:50:14 EST

Actually this is not completely true.
The so called memory effect is well known for NiCd cells.
But NiMh cells do not show this effect or only to a very little extent.
I have never seen a serious report comparing the two extremes for NiMHs:
keepig the charge of the cells almost on full level all the time
or discharge/charge them regularly.
The latter might work on cost of the limited total of charging/discharging
cycles over the battery lifetime.
Maybe I found a solution inbetween where I am happy with:
personally I prefer to discharge my battery pack from time to time to a
quiet low level (f.i. 25% indication on the Newt)and then recharge it again
inside the Newt.
But you have to plan when to do it because otherwise you might need the Newt
when you have empty batteries.
So I do this in my office having the power adaptor disconnected but next to
my Newt.

Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html