Re: [NTLK] NiMH discharge cycles

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 10:06:34 EST

On 22/11/02 09:50, "Johannes Wolf" <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl> wrote:

> Actually this is not completely true.
> The so called memory effect is well known for NiCd cells.
> But NiMh cells do not show this effect or only to a very little extent.
> I have never seen a serious report comparing the two extremes for NiMHs:
> keepig the charge of the cells almost on full level all the time
> or discharge/charge them regularly.

My experience with NiMH has taught me not to trust them for not having a
memory effect. In all devices I used over the last few years, it always
seemed that I was getting more running time if I was discharging NiMH
completely before recharging them. So, whenever I'll be connecting to the
internet to download news, for example, I always plug the AC adapter *AND* I
remove the rechargeable battery pack, so that it doesn't get charged when
it's only half-way discharged.

YMMV...

-Laurent.

FUBAR n.: The Failed UniBus Address Register in a VAX. A good example of how
jargon can occasionally be snuck past the suits; see foobar, and foo for a
fuller etymology.