Re: [NTLK] Orinoco Gold WiFi Card

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 11:52:00 EST

On 22/11/02 11:43, "Douglas Loftus" <loftus_at_mjmcreative.com> wrote:

> Operating a MP2000.
>
> I just purchased the Orinoco Gold WiFi Card based on board discussions that
> the gold and silver versions are the same except for 64/128 bit security. I
> also downloaded Hiroshi Noguchi's WaveLAN Driver from:
> http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm
>
> I followed the instructions but I get the messages that the card can't be
> recognized by the Newt and when I install the WaveLan package I receive:
> ERROR: Unable to activate 802.11b WaveLAN since Newton Device Drivers are
> not in the System.
>
> Now I'm wondering what's wrong? Anyone have success with the Gold or should
> I have bought the silver?

I think you have your answer right there, under your nose: ERROR: Unable to
activate 802.11b WaveLAN since Newton Device Drivers are not in the System.
One of the package that is part of Newton Internet Enabler 2.0 is "Newton
Devices.pkg". You have to install that package. In fact, you should install
all packages from the NIE 2.0 archive. If you already have installed them,
then it probably means you did install them on an external card while the
driver is on the internal memory, thus the driver gets loaded first but the
Newton Devices driver hasn't been loaded yet.

So, make sure you install all packages from NIE 2.0 onto your internal
memory and try again.

-Laurent.

GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym]: 1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' -- usually said in
response to lusers who complain that a program didn't "do the right thing"
when given imperfect input or otherwise mistreated in some way. Also
commonly used to describe failures in human decision making due to faulty,
incomplete, or imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this more recent
expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings have to put
excessive trust in `computerized' data.