[NTLK] New casings for the Newton ?

From: Mike King (mikkel_at_market-research.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 11:56:02 EST

We still use Newtons for collecting market research data, and while people
are interested in the devices, the comment is usually: Aren't they a bit
old these days ? There is certainly a fear (ungrounded of course) of using
antiquated technology, which hinders our business development here.

I have looked at the current offerings out there, and they are still very
lacking in screen space. The processors of the new devices are nice and
snappy, and I was briefly excited to see the Sony Clie has a 320x480 color
screen. Unfortunately it is no bigger, it just allows display of nice icons
and movies/pictures. The applications are the same size as the 160x160 Palm
displays.

I guess nobody is going to revive the Newton platform at this stage, but I
have an idea for giving our units a make-over: Would it be possible for
someone to make some new casings for them in Silver ? I guess it would be
possible to take moldings of the existing cases. I have some dead Newtons
if anyone is interested in experimenting here. I have a 100 units that
would need the treatment. I don't care about the doors, as many of the
hinges are broken anyway.

Any ideas ?

Mike

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html