Re: [NTLK] New casings for the Newton ?

From: J. E. Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 07:09:45 EST

since there has been a bunch of Newton stuff that has left Apple/Newton INC. that should not have, the real question to all this talk of new casings is..

who has the OEM castings for the cases?? if we could find those, then the process would be so much easier..

they have to exist, and there should be more than just one set.. and if the set is incomplete, that's fine.. it should reduce the costs of producing the rest of the moulds..

i posed a question about the rechargeable battery's casing awhile ago.. if we could get an empty casing, then it would be much easier to produce new battery packs.. or the moulds to make them.. and the last manufacturer of the batteries was BTI, inc..

so, if this is real, and we want new casings, i think that we should find the OEM moulds..

there are some japanese fans of the powerbook 2400 that produce clear casings and parts for the PB2400.. but, some of the castings cost nearly $12000.00usd to make.. and they had access to a dental lab to do it.. if this holds true, this is going to cost alot..

i'm also not too sure about Ferdi heading all this up.. all his NTLK/eBay dealings, leave me feeling weak about this deal.. this is my personal beef about it..

i might just get some silicone and some clear resin and make my own.. exactly the way that the Frozen Newton Project was done to begin with..

my .02 cents..

jim.

"imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under it's own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)