[NTLK] Continuing Frustration w/MP2000

From: Andrew Shlapak (divise_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 18:15:48 EST

Good day!

I appreciate this list, the help and the patience provided. It has
prompted me to once again attempt a working partnership with the
Newton. I struggled with the first iteration and purchased the 2000
with 16 MB memory card and a modem card. The difficulties began with
the internet connection process and the continued errors when using
NCU. After a while, I carried the Newton with me for the names and note
taking abilities alone. A PowerBook/iBook quickly replaced it.

Now, with the promise of wireless connectivity and this list, I started
bringing the Newton back into the work process. With the help of
Laurent Daudelin, the Newton finally connected wirelessly to my small
LAN and the internet. Mr. Anderson's NewtSync worked wirelessly. The
Newton was becoming a useful device.

However, SimpleMail constantly produced an error. I switched to the
included EnRoute and email straightened out. However... NetHopper
was/is problematic. Continuous "out of memory" errors made it unusable.
So... I tried installing NewtScape. The next-to-last package install
(alphabetic listing) caused another "out of memory" error. I reset the
Newt. Tapped "Extras" and got:

        "Newton doesn't have enough free
        memory right now to do what you
        asked. Restarting Newton may fix
        the problem."

This now the permanent operating condition - "Extras" is out of reach.
I have restarted several times, did a restore from the 16 MB card,
removed the WaveLAN Silver card, restarted with the "reset" button. No
help. I cannot get to "Extras". So, once again, the Newt has worked its
way to - well, less than useful status.

Again any help and/or advice would be very appreciated. Also, if
someone would explain the Newton memory model and its limits this would
really be appreciated. The 16 MB card has about 11 MB free and doesn't
seem to be part of the Newt's usable memory space.

Thank you all for your help and participation in this outstanding list,

Andrew "Pro Lurker" Shlapak

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html