Re: [NTLK] ANN: That's all folks!! (SER-001)

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 14:36:33 EST

John Acuff <jacuff1_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> I mean, if the guy says he's not going to make any
> more of them, what would be the loss to him? It
> certainly wouldn't be any money out of his pocket.
> Or am I missing something here?

   David put a lot of time and effort into the design and production of the SER-001 and offered probably the best technical support available, even refining the product for the second run. The design is his property and I'm sure he hasn't made a lot of money on the project. If he were to drop it into the public domain anyone could start producing knock-ofs and selling them in quantity. If these happened to be shoddy reproductions it could affect the reputation of David's product and his ability to design and sell other hardware to the Newton community.
   We had our chance to buy SER-001 cards. It's now over. Possibly enough advance orders might persuade David to do another run, but as he said, he's moved on to other projects.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html