Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason

From: fussili_at_mac.com
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 17:14:30 EST

> Where I do believe that Apple may enter the market is the Tablet PC
> arena. And when you look at it, the Newt 2k series is more of a Tablet
> PC than PDA anyway due to it's size and capabilities. As I am use X.2,
> it seems that a PenX version could easily be accomplished (X adopted for
> pen input). We already have inkwell. And the Dock could easily be used
> via pen. Everything else in the interface seems to be such that it could
> be adapted for pen input as well.

   Hi all! first post, here go's:

   I might question apple entering the Tablet PC market. I'm still of the opinion
that the Tablet PC is perhaps the worst thought out piece of technology ever
invented. It maintains a large size for relative weight but in its current
incarnation its not really luggable.. I also see problems with screen protection.
  I might question why someone would want to forsake the reliability of a Keyboard
as an input device in a product designed to do so much (effectively be a psuedo-desktop
PC).

   I have no doubt Apple could design a superb Tablet PC which probably would
negate weight / heat problems using their engineering know how but the fact
remains that in my mind, a more viable position in the market would be for
a pad of newton size - not as small as conventional PDA's as they seem destined
to ultimately merge with Cell-Phones - which would still afford apple the
screen real-estate it wants for use with the Dock (Which I agree would rock
with a pen!) along with other small-scale apps such as word processors and
communications applications (like a simple port of iChat)... I see Steve looking
at the Microsoft tablets and muttering "What a peice of crap" because I honestly
can't see any of the elegance in its form or function which is such a fundamental
pre-requisite of apple's hardware today. The tablet PC just doesn't seem usable
standing up (waaaay to heavy to support for prolonged computing), or baking
your legs off whilst sitting down (even getting the distance from hand to
eye when its on your lap is difficult) and is more or less destined for use
on a flat surface, sort of negating the point of it. I just can't see Steve
wanting to get himself mixed up in all that.

   - John Swaine

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html