Re: [NTLK] Easiest import method for Names?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 05:45:21 EST

on 11/29/02 2:50 AM, im-wired_at_attbi.com at im-wired_at_attbi.com wrote:

> My newt is a blank slate right now (none of my names in there yet).
> I've gleaned from the read-me with NCU that it supports several formats to
> import stuff from including Excel 4.0. For my initial import 'd be willing to
> export from Filemaker as comma delimited and open it in excel, then save
> as 4.0. Problem is, I can't find anything that tells me what sequence the
> fields need to be in let alone the nuts-n-bolts of how to even dump it to the
> Newton once the data is prepared.

Well, first of all, comma-delimited (or tab delimited on the Mac) should be
readable by NCU, so you don't need to transfer the data to Excel.

Secondly, field order is not important, as once in NCU, you can then map the
fields as you wish.

Thirdly, if you wish to keep using your database (which is not a bad idea,
as you are used to it, and have developed it yourself), you can consider the
Newton as an assistant, or sub-set of your desktop data. If you consider the
Newton to be this, then you can look at exporting your data regularly to the
Newton, and simply wiping out what was already there. The only key to that
is to not modify any data on the Newton, or, if you do, find some way to
mark it, so that you remember to update the data on your desktop before you
wipe out the Newton. One way would be to file all modified names in their
own folder. Then, you simply go through the folder before your do a dump,
and check and modify the data on the desktop to match the changes on the
Newton. The biggest downside to this form of "manual" syncing, is that you
may forget to file a name that has been modified. :-) However, if you have
been disciplined enough to develop your own address database, then you may
do well with this system. I've done it, and only once forgot a name, but I
was fortunate that the modifications came from a business card that I still
had. :-)

As for switching applications, that's a tough call. What OS are you using?
That would be the biggest determinant from which we can work.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams