Re: [NTLK] [OT] Single pixel spies and scumware (was Re:Did anyone else get this?)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 01:26:35 EDT

Yeah, what he said...
Another way to protect yourself (this is ONTOP of a
personal firewall...I personally swear by ZoneAlarm.
It's free and easy to setup) is to get yourself a
program called AdAware.
What this does is run a database of all known scumware
proponents and checks to see if you're running
anything from them. If so, it allows you to delete all
aspects of those scoundrels! It is quite throuough and
it checks registry and cookies! It even checks your
cache to see if you hit anything in the past that may
be scumware.
I don't know if it's avaliable for Mac, but try
looking for it. AdAware is by Lavasoft and like
ZoneAlarm, it's free! Although the pay version has
more features, the free version is more than adequete!
Ed (scumware free)
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Sunder <sunder_at_sunder.net> wrote:
<really big snip>

> The best way to stop most of this crap is to get a
> host based
> firewall. Things like ZoneAlarm and Norton's
> personal firewall - whatever
> it's called. Basically you want cookie management,
> and ad blocking
> features, but even so it's not automatic, you still
> have to tell these
> programs what's a banner ad and what's not. The
> beauty of these firewall
> programs is that they tell you when an application
> is
=== message truncated ===

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party