Re: [NTLK] Newton 2x00 internal ram

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 17:58:47 EDT

On Jeu 17 oct 2002 Jeff Sheldon wrote:
>So unless
>you're good at making sense of ARM assembly code (which you'll have to
>generate on your own using the methods talked about on here over the past
>week), it would be very, very difficult.

Hammer images for 2.1 units include most ROM symbols. You can easily figure out how to talk to the Voyager. The main class (Protocol) is called something like TVoyagerDriver. The interface is something like TPlatformDriver.

>I've noticed that the Newton ROM board (which uses out of production Sharp
>Flash-ROMs) at least looks like a glorified Sharp copier ROM board.

The ROM Board Can include writable Flash Memory. I don't know Sharp ROM boards, but it's probably more complex than you seem to think.

>Throughout MessagePad development, there's always been close
>intercommunication between the ARM processor and a control ASIC as well.

The Voyager is the real heart of the Newton.

>In the 2x00 and I believe the eMate, the main control chip is a Cirrus
>Logic PS7010.

aka Voyager.

>I'll let everyone know how things go if I can schedule time
>with a guy who has control over an electron microscope, but these chips
>are multi-layer and technical sheets are what we desperately need.

H=E9h=E9. Good luck trying to reverse engineer it ;)

You Linux Freaks have funny projects. What about porting a POSIX environment to NewtonOS instead?
At least ANSI C with networking and threads. This would make ssh on the Newton a two minutes issue.

Paul

--
This wirelessly-sent message was pen-written.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/