Re: [NTLK] GSM-Radio card first fone

From: Camillus Guhl (cam+newtontalk_at_spamcop.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 08:13:18 EDT

Robert, check my (old) webpages covering the firstfone / newton message pad:
http://newton.guhl.net/newton/fifo/

AFAIK only the first series of option's firstfones work with a newton, newer or
certain series are known not to work anymore. Try before you buy!

I still have a firstfone, but it ceased working in my newton (that means I
still can get it to dial a PPP connection to an IPS with PT100, but not in NIE
2.0).

I have been using it for dialup to my ISP to check e-mails and news, though 9.6
kbit/s is very slow...I bought (!) two applications that allowed to make calls
from names (headphone attached to the firstfone), but the quality was *very*
bad. SMS is possible as well (e.g. with lunasuites sms application).

Personally I would go for a nokia card phone 2.0 as it is dualband (900, 1800
MHZ) and does HSCSD (up to 43.2 kbit/s), has free newton drivers and
applications.

Regards
Cam

http://www.newtonsearch.net/