[NTLK] Modems, drivers and the net: questions

From: Paul Vaughan (paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:43:13 EDT

Hi all,

I've just seen a brand new PCMCIA 56k modem for sale,
and I would really like to have internet connection on
my UMP2000. Unfortunately, I didn't note down the
name! But it wasn't Hayes or USRobotics. It had a
special connector with a 4 or 5 ft cable then the
phone plug.

My questions are

1) Should almost any PCMCIA modem work with a
Newton,or are there some problem areas I should look
out for?

2) Do I need special drivers to get a modem to work,
or should the Newton automatically recognize it as
soon as it's plugged in?

3) Will NIE and/or Newts Cape work with a proxy
server?

I intend to take the Newton to the shop and ask to try
the card out, but I want to be sure I have everything
I need first.

Thanks

Paul

http://uk.my.yahoo.com